SSRS Error – Mixed Database Versions

During the course of helping a friend migrate his SSRS to a new environment we got to encounter a fun little error.  Now in looking at the error message first thing that comes to mind is examine the ReportServerTempDB and make sure it’s actually online.  Then look to make sure that it hasn’t ballooned into a bazillion gb for some odd reason.  We looked and that wasn’t the case. So the next step was to restore the databases back again to make sure that something didn’t happen during the first restore.

 

SSRS Error
SSRS Error

We fire up SSMS and log into the old environment, we start a 2nd connection to the new environment..  While I’m staring at the screen it hits me like a ton of bricks.  I got all excited when I spotted what I suspected to be the issue.  In looking at the versions in SSMS which is displayed next to the server name it was clear as mud.  The old environment that we where using to backup and restore from was at SQL Version 10.50.1804.0 which is SQL 2008 R2 CU9.  The environment we where restoring into was still at the RTM release version of 10.50.1600.1 which is SQL 2008 R2.

SSMS SQL Version
SSMS SQL Version

 

I had my friend update his SQL cluster nodes with the CU9 update and then update his reporting server to CU9 as well.  Once the updates where complete he was able to restore the databases and access the reporting services without issue.   So the take away here is that when you are troubleshooting a problem always make sure your versions match up.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *